Monday, December 12, 2011

Them young kids

There is something that I realized quite a while ago, maybe a year or so. But I am sure that a lot of people know this already but it fits well in a blog post for my topic so here it goes...

If you want to become good at something, start doing that "thing" at a really young age. Preferably, the youngest age possible. If this happens, the said child will most guaranteed become a professional or at least moderately skilled at whatever "thing" they attempt by their early to late teens.

I not only say this because children pick up every little toy that comes out these days and instantly masters it in no time, but also because it is true with skateboarding as well. If you ask any given amount of professional skaters how old they were when they started skating, I can almost guarantee that they will anwser anywhere from 6-13. And if you ask them why they started, you will most likely hear the "I was given my first skateboard from a friend/family member" answer.

Not that starting young is a bad thing because with me I kinda of did, but I did not stick with it 100%. I quit for a while and then picked it back up a few years ago. The older you are when you try to pick up a new hobby or activity, the harder it generally is to get good at whatever it is. And in my case, it was skateboarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment